Saturday, August 1, 2009

"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

What is this emo? I found a letter from a girl that wrote to him, he is only turning 14 and she talks about hurting him and herself. Are they taking drugs? My son is a good kid I have never had any serious problems with him. Should I pull him out of the school I work so hard to keep him in? It's a private school...... what good is it doing him? He is acting depressed and isnt interested in anything. Does anyone have the same issues with their kids at the moment? He wont even cuut his hair.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

HA HA HA



Ok "emo" is a music genre, short for emotional. Bands such as: Dashboard Confessional, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco and My Chemical Romance are a few that I have heard.



I am old too. These bands are far far far less harmful than Crosby, Stills and Nash were. Far less than the (gulp) Grateful Dead.



Mom, it is ALL about the hair. The fashion is to be chic and have this kind of moppy hair-do (that costs 100.oo) and wear jeans, chuck taylor sneakers and some sort of blazer jacket.



They whine, pout, and act sassy... it is a real whimpy fad actually. No harm in the music or the fad I think.



-----------



The "hurting herself and him" part is something totally separate. I encourage speaking with this other child's parents about this, assessing the home situation there and contemplating the friends your son is allowed to hang out with.



Keep him in the private school Mom! C'mon... I am sure he will get a far superior educational process if you can afford to keep him there. The personal attention is a must. I am also willing to bet that there is a school social worker or psychologist there, talk with her or him about your concerns...



You should also talk to a counselor yourself to get the skills on how to identify whether your kid is on drugs, the tell-tale signs... a community mental health agency would more than likely provide a counselor to meet with you once (pro bono) to explain this stuff to you.



talk to your son about it in an objective and non-judgemental way.



communication highways have to remain open at all costs at this age.



whatver about his hair... let him grow it and cut it. That is not significant enough an issue to draw the sword over and battle about.



look at my links for more info.



and best wishes to you.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

It's a phase, like the gothic phase with a new age edge. He isn't nessacarily doing drugs or cutting himself, though those are usual afflictions of the teenage "emo." Do not take any major actions without first talking to him about his current habbits and this girl that is threatening him. (you may want to call her parents) And the hair, well, that's part of the style. You can't be cool unless your hair hangs down over your face to hide you from the sun. Really talk to him and get inside his head, it'll help you understand how he sees himself and how he wants to be seen.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

Vanessa,



What a tough age with teenage sons. I remember it all too well from ours. I think I'd start by talking with his guidance counselor and teachers to see if they can offer you any insights. Trying to find out if there's a problem doesn't mean you love him any less or don't accept him. It just means that you want what's best for him now and for the rest of his life. There may be nothing wrong, just some behavior that you don't understand. It's tough to say if you should pull him out of the school. Public schools have their share of problems too. Best of luck!



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

sounds like serious problems going on at this



private school get him out of there and get him



some counselling



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

Im somewhat emo and I dont see that there is a thing wrong with me. I have black hair and I like loud and hard music. I have tats and piercings. I use to be a cutter but I am not no more. I don hate the world and I dont wine about my life. I also have a beautiful daughter and a 2 bedroom home with a semu finished basment , I am a manager and I make almost 700 bucks a week. I own a 96 nissan and I am married. So I would say emos have normal lives just like others. Difference between me and most emos is that my parents except me for who and what I am and there support has encouraged me to succeed in life. You need to focus on showing him CLEARLY that you support him. Dosent mean you half to like it just means you love him like you SHOULD unconditionally !!!



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

emo is short for the word EMOtional. see it? They may cut themselves with razors. I would check his wrists and things like that. I don't think the private school is hurting him and it's just like the group of friends he hangs out with. google search emo and cutting and see what comes up. don't worry too much. if not ask a child psychiatrist for guidance.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

"Emo" means emotional, the letter that you found is probably full of it, most of the time, from my experience is the people do and say a lot to get attention. Taking drugs? I dunno, I doubt it though, sounds like he is in a good situation, however, it is possible.



Leave him in school, its just a phase, emo kids act depressed, uninterested in things except dark arts, constantly wearing black and even boys wear makeup.....I would say be glad he isn't cutting his hair, at least he isn't wearing make up!



I say talk with your son, let him know that you have been noticing the changes and you just want to understand, be supportive, but not quizzing. Take him shopping maybe, let him buy those wierd clothes, you can start analyzing the areas your son goes, and the people he is around, it will make you more aware. But do not interfere, this is your son's first opportunity of being independent, I am sure he will soon realize he is around a bunch of whiners/losers......but right now he is not sure of society he associates himself with.



My guess is no father figure in the family? But no worries, your kid will grow out of it.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

its just a phase that he is going through i bet. i did and i was obessed with emo if u must call it that and black. even though i still am i think if you just let the time pass or left everything work its self out then it will be ok. But if you keep seeing signs that him or that girl might hurt themselves then u might want to confrot him or talk to the school. hope it all works out and that you can keep in in that school!! best of luck and wishes to all!!



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

YOUR SON IS AT A TOUGH AGE JUST STARTING PUBERTY ,THIS IS A TRICKY TIME FOR HIM AND YOU ,TALK TO HIM EVEN IF HE DOES NOT SEEM TO LISTEN WHEN HE GETS OLDER IT WILL HAVE AN IMPACT %26lt;AND ELMO IS USED AS A SEXUAL RELIEVER IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN%26gt;



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

Emo is a description of dress, attitude, and music.



In your son's case, it's only a symptom of your biggest worry....clinical depression. Get him to a doctor and have him referred to a psychologist. Depression is a chemical issue which is easily treated with meds. Cognitive therapy paired with these meds is most successful in treating teens with depression.



Do it now before things get any worse for your son...and you.



After he grows accustomed to no longer being depressed, he will not gravitate towards the Emo crowd....although he may feel guilty about finding other friends. You may consider switching schools, but these kids are in every school on the planet. It's sad.



Good luck and God Bless!



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

Well I'm a 17 year old so I can help you when it comes to understanding my very confused younger peers. Emo is a style of music which is a complication of blues and indie rock. It is usually depressing music and I rather enjoy it myself. But the word has taken a whole new meaning and now is used for alot of pop punk bands that have nothing to do with the real emo music. And has became a kind of fashion where kids wear tight pants and tight band t shirts. Think about it like the new grunge or the new 70's look minus the drugs. No your kid is probably not on drugs but you should try to look into the matter. But please do not pressure him or over parent him. But anyways it's just a form of rebellion which is good for kids. It's silly but helps them learn who they are. Basically your kid is trying to follow another stupid fashion trend that is being popularized by his peers. And sadly wrist cutting and stuff is becoming a small part of it but alot of kids just joke about it. Haha yes we do have a weird since of humor. If you could tell me more about what it said I could help you out more. But for now I would just say love your kid and teach him and he shall follow. Just don閳ユ獩 be over bearing I know alot of parents think the best thing to do in these situations is to jump on the kid. But trust me that will only make matters worse. Maybe talk to him about his thoughts on the matter and ask him about the whole emo thing. I doubt your son is even depressed I am a very depressed person at the moment. And I am the most normal kid you could ever meet. I have younger freinds that dress up like that and they are perfectly happy but do it for fun.The people that dress up like that are just bored and trying to get attention or look cool.



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

i dont think its the school but the people aroud him that is influencing him - his friends. I think you should talk to your son about why does he look depressed and discuss what happen at school Also, maybe talk to his teacher. iono, maybe the teacher can sort things out in class



"emo" my teenage son what is going on?

Don't overact. Don't take him out of school. Education is the foundation for a good life so, taking that away from him wouldn't solve any problems. try talking to him and suggesting he get involved in a activity at his school. A sport might be a good idea. Ask him to invite people over. Make sure he isn't sitting around the house watching television because that promotes the depressioness. Maybe he just needs a little boost in the right direction. If he is still depressed in a couple weeks I suggest taking him to a counselor. Maybe he just needs to talk with someone who isn't his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment