Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I have to work in the school kitchen. Will I be made fun of?

I am going to be a freshman at a private highschool.



I am from a family of 5 kids, and only my dad works. We can't afford to pay the whole tuition, so my parents signed me up for the "work program"



Instead of being able to take Art or Music or some other class like that, I have to work in the kitchen for 1 period everyday. My family then gets $1000 off the price of tuition.



There are a lot of kids who are signed up to do it. I am still nervous.



Have you ever had to work in the kitchen at school? How did it go? Will kids make fun of me? Will I have to wear a hair-net *gasp*?...



I am really worried about this. Please help.



I have to work in the school kitchen. Will I be made fun of?

Unfortunately, there may be some students who will laugh at you. They will almost certainly fall into one of two categories ~ spoiled rich kids who have never done a day's work in their lives and wannabes who will mock you so as to deflect attention from themselves.



Both these groups are fairly much useless warts on society, and their behaviour is just another form of the tired old school bully routine! My bet is, they won't even be original about it!



Fortunately, you are not going to be the only one doing this very reasonable cost saving work, and gaining a good education through it.



You will almost certainly be able to make friends from among these other students in your same situation and also from those students who don't have to do kitchenwork but who are smart enough to know that all honest work is good work, regardless of where we do it.



By doing this work, and seeing who makes fun of you, you will learn an early but valuable lesson ~ you will learn work skills which you can use to your advantage in later life (not just how to make sandwiches, but customer service, how to manage a workplace and so on).



If you keep your eyes open, you won't just be saving money by working, you'll also be getting a free Business Management course!



The more intelligent among your school fellows will recognise this and respect you for it.



The others, who think there is something 'cool' about living off their parents' money instead of earning their own way, really shouldn't worry you ~ their opinion is worth something only as long as they tow Daddy's line!



They won't be able to stand up and say "I earned the right to be who I am, say what I want and act as I want", whereas you will be earning that right from from day one.



Best wishes and best of luck to you :-)



I have to work in the school kitchen. Will I be made fun of?

Yes, they will pick on you....but Im tellin you, those are the kids you dont want to be around anyway!! I didnt work in the kitchen, but all of the kids at my school had a membership to the YMCA and would go swimming there after school. My parents couldnt afford it then so I was in the "Learn to Earn Program" I would have to go in and work for 45 minutes a day, then I would be allowed a day pass to go swimming.



Some kids picked some didnt....its funny though....Your parents will be proud of you while they have nothing to show their parents!!



You'll get through it and remember, those kids are no better than you! They are just big pains in the butt!!!



Good luck to ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment